Wednesday, September 10

Tropical Smoothies from My Kitchen

In high school, I applied for a part-time job at Tropical Smoothie. I wanted to be a cashier, but had no idea that on my first day (and for the rest of my time there) I’d be sent to work in the kitchen instead.

Instead of getting a cool flip-flop t-shirt, I was demoted to wearing a purple Hawaiian-flowered button-down shirt that swallowed me. Oh, and it also had an enormous, colorful parrot on the front and backside. And BOOM – I became the festive-dressed girl behind the counter making everyone’s smoothies.

I did not enjoy the job at the time, but who knew that it would benefit me later? I know how to make some really good smoothies now! Ben gets so excited when I whip out the blender…even if it is obnoxiously loud. =D

So I thought that I’d break up the “green smoothie” trend with some good, old-fashioned, sweet, fresh-fruit smoothie and dessert smoothie recipes. Plus, its not officially fall until September 22, so we can still appropriately indulge!

Here’s one of my favorites:

Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie
1 Serving

What you’ll need:
  • Blender
  • 1 tbsp turbinado
  • 4-5 pieces of cubed ice
  • 1 c defrosted strawberries, with the juices, or 1 c fresh strawberries and 2 tbsp water
  • 1-2 fresh kiwi, peeled and sliced
  1. Throw your ice in the blender, and then pour in turbinado. Shake it around and then place it on the blender.
  2. Put your fruit in and put the top on.
  3. Blend!
  4. If your machine stops blending well, take the glass container off the blender, and while holding the top, shake it. Then place back on blender to blend again.
  5. Add a little bit of water if you want your smoothie to have a thinner consistency.
  6. Pour it in a cup, stick a straw in it, and enjoy!
*For sweetest results, use defrosted frozen strawberries with juice.

Stay tuned for a few more smoothie recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment